General Terms and Conditions
- In order to effectively achieve the goal under Article 3 of the Broadcasting Ethics and Program Improvement Organization (hereinafter referred to as “the Organization”) Rules and Regulations (hereinafter referred to as “the Rules and Regulations”), the following terms and conditions shall be instituted as stipulated under Article 32 Paragraph 2.
Functions of the Committee
The main functions of the Committee for Youth Programming (hereinafter referred to as “the Committee") shall be as follows:
- The Committee shall examine the opinions on broadcasting and youth received from viewers/listeners, report and disclose these opinions along with the Committee’s “Opinion” to the members of the Organization - NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation) and JBA (The Japan Commercial Broadcasters Association) and its member companies - and request that the broadcasters voluntarily review the matters in question. The Committee shall require the broadcasters to report back the findings of the review, including the specific initiatives that they plan to take, and disclose this information to the public.
- The Committee can voluntarily discuss issues relating to youth programming in general, and disclose its “Opinion” on the matter.
- In order to contribute to the improvement of youth programming, the Committee shall exchange opinions with broadcasters, productions staff, youths, and their parents, and disclose the development of these discussions to the public.
- The Committee shall cooperate with research institutes such as those at universities and perform research and studies on broadcasting and youth.
Handling of Opinions from Viewers/Listeners
The opinions received from viewers/listeners shall be handled according to the following standards:
- In principle, the opinions must be related to broadcasting and youth, and received from a general viewer/listener.
- Viewers/listeners can give their opinion to the Secretariat by telephone, fax, post, or email.
- The Secretariat shall review the opinions, tally and summarize them if needed, and report them to the Committee.
- Programs eligible for a deliberation must have been broadcast within three months prior to the receipt of the opinion.
- The Committee shall perform a deliberation based on materials prepared by the Secretariat.
- The Committee can request the broadcaster to provide an explanation on the broadcast in question. It can also require the broadcaster’s cooperation in submitting the necessary materials for the deliberation.
- A Committee “Opinion” can only be issued with a 2/3 majority vote.
- A committee member can add their individual opinion to the Committee “Opinion,” in which case their name must be also be mentioned.
Notification / Disclosure
- In addition to promptly notifying the conclusion of the deliberation to the broadcaster in question, the Committee must submit an outline and conclusion of the deliberation, and details of the broadcaster’s handling of the situation in the Committee Monthly Report, and share the information with the Organization members and youth-related organizations. The Committee shall also disclose the information to the public in the BPO Report, on the BPO homepage, or by other appropriate means such as holding a press conference.
- Amendments to these terms and conditions require the approval by the board after a 2/3 majority vote by the Committee.
Supplementary Terms and Conditions
- These terms and conditions are effective as of June 1, 2000.