▶The Committee for Broadcast and Human Rights / Other Related Rights
(Established in 1997)
- The Committee for Broadcast and Human Rights / Other Related Rights will aid individuals whose honor, privacy or other human rights have been violated by broadcasting. There are seven to nine members consisting of lawyers, scholars and other experts. From a third-party standpoint, the committee will make prompt and fair investigations of complaints. No fee is charged for filing complaint or for the investigations conducted.
- When the complaint is filed the committee will request the broadcaster concerned to submit a written explanation. Then the Committee will examine the case and determines if the complaint has good grounds to open an investigation. When the case is accepted then the committee will conduct a hearing and deliberation.
- The Committee will determine “whether human rights have been violated” or/and “whether broadcasting ethics problems exist”. The Committee Decision will be issued in a form of Opinion or Recommendation. The decision will be notified to both parties concerned and will also be made public.
If you think your rights have been violated, you must first contact the broadcaster directly to have the problem solved.
When a satisfactory solution cannot be reached, you can file complaint to BPO. The Committee will determine whether the case will be accepted.
Deliberation / Proceedings
When accepted, both parties will submit statements and related materials. Hearings will be held for further deliberation by the Committee.
Decision and Announcement
The Committee Decision will be issued in a form of “opinion” or “recommendation” and will be made public.
- The Committee will only accept complaints against member broadcasters.
- Complaint must be filed by an individual who has been profiled in the broadcast.
- Initial claim to the broadcaster must be made within three months and the complaint to BPO must be filed within one year of the original broadcast.
- Complaints from organizations and/or against individual staff are not accepted.
- Complaints pending in court and/or for financial compensation are not accepted.